|N E W S F E E D S >>>|
Pulteneytown & Thrumster Church History
Pulteneytown Parish Church -
Pultenetown has been described as
"the first planned industrial estate in Britain". It was built entirely
south of the Wick river which prior to this had been a green field site.
Thomas Telford was in charge of the lay-out of the new settlement and
Argyle Square was the cenre-piece of the residential area. the new church
was to be an integral part of the square. The church cost £1600 and there
was a great excitement as large gatherings of adults and children met.
However, 1843 was to see a major split in the Scottish Church, called the
disruption (adispute over the rights of Lairds to select Ministers). As
many of the new residents had been evicted from their homes during 'The
Clearances' it was not surprising that most of the congregation was 'swept
away' to form a new congregation in the newly formed Free Church - in
which lairds would be afforded no such rights.
Pulteneytown and Thrumster Parish Church, as it is known today is the
culmination of the uniting of various churches over the years for various
reasons. The present congregation itself having four changes of name
prior to what it is currently known as Viz: