|N E W S F E E D S >>>|
|THE WOMEN'S GUILD
Among the active agencies of the Church, the Women's Guild holds a foremost place. Its past record is a long and honourable one, but it is impossible, in the space at disposal, to name office-bearers and officials of bygone years to whose zealous and enthusiastic efforts the Guild owes so much.
The period of highest activity happened during the years of the Great War, when members laboured devotedly for the comfort of our naval men, our soldiers in the field; for the needs of the wounded, and for the maintenance of hospitals and other services. It is interesting to cull from the minutes of the Guild the following entry in relation to the services of Miss Jessie D. Waters, secretary:-
"For upwards of 20 years Miss Waters had worked most assiduously for the Guild. Her efforts were greatest during the war when she had the handling of hundreds of comforts for soldiers and sailors. Her zeal never flagged, and altogether enough cannot be said about her never-failing service to the Church."
The present position of the Guild is as strong as before. This year its membership has attained a total of II8, and the spirit of the members is as eager and enthusiastic as ever.
The Guild meets every Monday evening at 7.30 o'clock from October to March. Weather conditions at this time are at their worst, yet the attendance is being well maintained.
Songs, recitations are rendered at the meetings, while the Guild members busy themselves with sewing and knitting. Tea and cakes are handed round during the evening, and altogether the meeting is friendly and sociable.
Lectures and talks are included in the programme and once a month a musical programme is given.
Throughout the whole period of its existence, the Guild has been powerful as an influence for good; it has never ceased to perform deeds of charity, and to radiate happiness and good feeling; it has proved indeed a very hive of industry. May its labours continue to be crowned with success!
|THE JUNIOR BIBLE CLASS
The Junior Bible Class was begun during the ministry of Rev. John MacDougall. It was seen that many boys and girls between the ages of 15 and 18 were, after leaving the Sunday School, apt to fall away from church connection. Mr Millar, who had been for some years superintendent of the Sunday School, undertook to conduct the class, and Mr MacDougall himself took charge of the Sunday School until a new superintendent was appointed.
At that time there was no other similar Junior Bible Class in the town,
and as the new class was not wholly confined to boys and girls connected
with our church the result was that it speedily grew until the number on
the roll exceeded 150 and the average attendance was fully 130. To
maintain discipline in such a large class was no easy matter; but Mr
MacDougall used to attend regularly and sit with the boys and girls while
Mr Millar conducted the class and gave the lesson.
|THE SUNDAY SCHOOL
This branch of Church life may truly be said to be in a very flourishing condition. Compelled by increasing numbers to vacate the Church Hall a few years ago, the church itself is now used as a meeting place, and each Sunday between the months of September and June there may be seen the spectacle of three hundred bright and cheery children under the supervision and tuition of a youthful superintendent and staff, comprising thirty teachers. Attendance and conduct of the children reach a very high level, and the staff are worthy of the highest praise for the devotion and enthusiasm they impart to their labour of love. Thanks to the generosity of the congregation, the children are enabled to spend a happy picnic day in the country annually, while one evening is set aside during the session as "Soiree" night. Both these events are eagerly looked forward to by the little ones.
We may rest assured that the centenary celebrations of the church, marking as they do an historic milestone in our local Church history, will act as a spur to those actively associated with Sunday School work, and that the high traditions of this branch of the Master's work will be maintained in the future.
It would be quite a fallacy to suppose that our choir only came into being after the installation of the pipe organ. The choir gave great assistance in leading the praise in the latter days of the precentors. Mr Ptolomey was the last of the precentors, and Miss Leith was the organist at that time. After Mr Ptolomey left the district the post of organist and choirmaster was combined.
The choir has for over half a century played an important part in leading the praise of the church and frequently rendering anthems, and on occasions giving recitals. In 1924 and 1925 the choir gained diplomas in Wick Musical Festival. Mrs Gilbertson was organist at that time.
It is interesting to note that there is in the choir just now a gentleman who has been connected with it for over half a century. We refer to Mr Alexander Grant. Mr Grant was honoured by the Choir and Kirk session by having a smoker's cabinet presented to him in May, 1928. He still renders valuable and faithful service to the choir.