|People First, Caithness
What is it?
It is a group of people who have Learning Disabilities or Difficulties
and/or Mental Health problems. We meet once a month to discuss things that
are affecting us and who we can speak to, so that they can help us to put
them right. We support one another if we have difficulties. We also plan
activities and outings to have fun and to help other people to get to know
Where do we meet?
We meet at the Ormlie Community Centre, off Henderson Street, Thurso
on a Tuesday evening at 7.00pm. You can find out the date of the next
meeting by phoning one of the numbers at the bottom of the leaflet.
How do I get there?
If you live in outside Thurso, and cannot get there, you can ring
Alison Kirk (an Adviser) on 07738051323. She will arrange to pick you up
and take you home again.
If you live in Thurso, and can get there yourself, but do not know where
it is, ring one of the telephone numbers at the bottom of the leaflet for
directions or one of us will arrange to meet you down the street and take
Some things that we have campaigned on.
· Disabled access to banks and other businesses
· Disabled friendly transport.
· Making it easier to get free bus passes for people who have Learning
Difficulties and/or Mental health problems.
· The changes to Respite Care.
· Bullying - Can you think of any other issues that you want to suggest
and help us with?
Activities we do
· There is a small group of us who go into Thurso High School to work with
a group of 5th and 6th year students. Last year we organised a Coffee
Afternoon at the school. We ran a Tombola and served tea, coffee and cakes
and biscuits to the teachers and some of the pupils. We raised £100 for
· We went to the pantomime at Thurso High School last Christmas.
· We had an evening bowling at the All Star Factory in Thurso
· We went to the cinema in Thurso
· We also have a regular card making session on a Tuesday evening to help
· We are also raising funds for a T shirt transfer machine for the group.
· We are also waiting to here about funding for equipment for making our
Activities that we are planning
· We are going to have a small tent at the County Show
· A bar-b-que on the beach if the weather is fine.
· A visit to a Safari Park
· To visit the Scottish Parliament in Edinburgh
Can you think of any others? Come and give us your ideas.
Come and join us. It costs you nothing to join. We are friendly and
have lots of fun. At the meetings we have tea, coffee, squash and
We are also looking for more Advisers (Enhanced Disclosure got free) to
help do all the things we want to do, including driving a mini bus. If you
are interested, contact Alison Kirk (Tel no. below)
Ring Alison Gibbons (Vice Chairperson) on 07717167614
Alison Kirk on 07738051323 for more information