Fast Work (by Geoff Leet)
Some jobs have been completed an a very short time:-
· Joseph Mitchell built the highest railway in the UK, the original link
from Perth to Inverness in one year.
(The route of the line from Aviemore to Inverness is now more direct).
· Joseph Paxton, advised by I.K.Brunel, in 1851 designed and built the 18
acre Crystal Palace in 9
· Heinkel designed and built 90 of the first jet fighters in 9 months,
1944/45, but shortage of fuel
prevented their use.
· Dudley Clark invented, trained, equipped, and organised the Commandos
between Dunkirk, 3rd June,
and first raid near Le Touquet on 24 June 1940, 21 days.
· The 4 wheel drive Jeep, (General Purpose = GP = Jeep) was built for the
US Army by Willys in 14 days.
· Agricultural Sir John Sinclair organised the building of the Causymire
road across the bog south of
Spittal in one day in 1772.