|N E W S F E E D S >>>|
Old Staxigoe 2
Staxigoe showing the pole barometer. It was erected in the middle of nineteenth century and used by
fishermen to determine the weather conditions at sea. The houses were built of the sturdy Caithness flagstone
and the roofs were tiled with red tiles brought in on Dutch boats as ballast. The tiles were off-loaded at Staxigoe
and replaced with cargo. The harbour was demolished in the late 1940's and most of the families rehoused
in the new Council built houses which now form part of the village. A pole still sits there today.
The man sitting by the pole was John Swanson "Geodie Paw".