|N E W S F E E D S >>>|
Not open to the public
Lybster House was built by the founder of Lybster as it is today Lieutenant General Patrick Sinclair. He was born in 1736 and died in 1820. A stone marks his grave and lies in a field at the back of the house. It can be visited via a footpath at the side of a house in the main street in Lybster.
The house has an earlier house next to it in the garden. An unusual feature of the house is the small herring barrel at the eaves of the roof. Possibly there was another one in the past. Patrick Sinclair is regarded as the founder of Lybster village and his son Temple Sinclair was responsible for the harbour development. Lybster became one of the great herring ports of the UK.