N E W S F E E D S >>>
Country Houses Index Forse Dovecote

 

A-Z of Caithness Places

Forse House

This three storey house was built in 1753 as a replacement house for Forse Castle by Captain John Sutherland.
The house commands a fine view to the sea and has at various times been a hospital, nursing home, hotel and is currently a home for people with learning disabilities.
The house also has extensive grounds, walled garden and a dovecote dating from the mid 18th century that housed about 400 pairs of birds..  Many outbuildings at the rear testify to the busy place it must have once been.  Nottingham Mains Farm House is at the rear of the building as is an old cottage which was apparently moved and rebuilt there in 1801.

Gatehouse

Front Door

Coat of Arms on Gatehouse

Front

Gatehouse Showing Gateway

 


View From Front Of House

Stream - Side of House


Woods in April