N E W S F E E D S >>>
Canisbay War Memorial

A to Z

Canisbay

Canisbay -
A small scattered community with a nineteenth century church used occasionally by the Royal Family as it is not far from the Castle of Mey which was owned by the Queen Mother and is now open to the public.

Inside the church which is open to the public is a memorial to Jan de Groot who started a ferry service to Orkney in 1496.  The church also has a graveyard surrounding it and a detailed list of who is buried there is available for consultation in the entrance.

Canisbay Primary School

Canisbay Show 2007
Canisbay Show 2006
Canisbay Show 2005
Canisbay Show 2004
Canisbay Show 2003
Canisbay Show 2002

Papel, Canisbay
The church at Canisbay

Post Office and Bed & Breakfast
  
postofficecanisbay.jpg (38898 bytes)

Canisbay Youth Hostel
    youthhostelcanisbay.jpg (39236 bytes)

 

Graveyard - Canisbay Kirk
canisbaygraves3.jpg (37502 bytes)

Canisbay Church Page

Downtown Canisbay
  
canisbaystreet.jpg (37570 bytes)

Still burning peat -
formerly the main fuel

peatcanisbay.jpg (45974 bytes)

Quiet streets surrounded
by beautiful countryside.

canisbaystreet.jpg (36643 bytes)

Older buildings are often
part of upgraded houses

changedcanisbay.jpg (37212 bytes)

Modern Housing
moderncanisbay.jpg (40679 bytes)

 Animals enjoy a great view
  of the Island 0f Stroma  

    lookingstroma.jpg (44248 bytes)
    
      Stroma Pages

Medical Centre
surgerysign.jpg (43287 bytes)
    medicalcanisbay.jpg (44571 bytes)     

   
Ordnance Survey Map ref - ND 267355